Cheshire Football League title race to go down to ‘the Wire’

Hallmark Security Cheshire Football League
Hallmark Security Cheshire Football League

Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads put in the performance of the day in the Hallmark Security Cheshire Football League, beating Altrincham Reserves by four goals.

A Dean McGregor brace, plus goals from Askley Harrison and Joe Campbell, gave Nomads the victory with the result moving Nomads ahead of the Robins and into fourth.

League leaders Whaley Bridge defeated in-form Eagle Sports 3-0, with goals from Tom Scorer, Rob Newton and Joe Armstrong.

Knutsford couldn’t mirror Whaley as they drew 1-1 with Styal. The Wilmslow natives did well to take away a point from the title challengers, especially considering they were joint bottom at the start of play. A man-of-the-match display from goalkeeper, Alex Macintosh, proved vital to their performance.

Poynton beat bottom side Garswood United at home to edge closer to the top five. The Reds won 1-0 thanks to an Andrew Hurst goal. They now sit in sixth, 15 points off top spot, with seven games in hand.

A Steven Hughes hat-trick gave Rudheath Social a 3-1 victory away at Rylands. With a goal in the first half and two in the second, Hughes’ goals gave Social all three points at Gorsey Lane and keeps them clear of Styal and Garswood for another week at least.

Denton Town drop down the table, being displaced by Poynton, as they drew 0-0 with strugglers Greenalls Padgate St Oswald’s. It was a quiet affair in Tameside as Greenalls will be more pleased with the result than their opponents.

Wythenshawe Town were held by a late goal at home to Malpas this weekend. A Douglas Carroll goal gave the home side the lead at Ericstan Park, but a late equaliser from Alex Hughes stopped the title challengers from moving ahead of Knutsford into second.

Both Wythenshawe and Knutsford sit eight points off the leaders in third and second respectively.

League One

Warrington Town Reserves remain top of the division following their 1-0 win away at Egerton.

Billinge remain in close second with a victory over Daten at home. They won 2-0 at Carr Mill Road through goals from Christopher Cottington and Ste Wolhuter.

Middlewich Town impressed as they beat Grappenhall Sports 4-0 away from home. The Witches, whose goals came via Sam Wakefield, Jamie Petrie, Chris Yearsley and Ed Marsh, move into tenth and leapfrogging Daten in the process.

Lostock Gralam move up to sixth with a 4-1 victory over Golborne Sports at the Park Stadium, St Helens drew at home to West Didsbury and Chorlton Reserves and  Halebank lost 2-0 at home to AFC Macclesfield thanks to a brace from Jack Banister.

Reserves League One

Greenalls Padgate St Oswalds drew 0-0 with Knutsford in a top of the table clash, while Garswood United stay in fourth with their 4-0 victory over Denton Town.

Reserves League Two

Moore United beat Malpas in a six-goal thriller in Reserve League Two with the home side winning 4-2 against the bottom side. The result moves Moore ahead of Pilkington and up to sixth.

In a clash at the top-of-the-table, Middlewich and AFC Macclesfield played out a goalless draw to keep the pressure on the top two. Macc are just two points behind league leaders FC St Helens.

President’s Cup

Pilkington beat Wythenshawe Development Squad in a dominant display, winning 10-2 at home.

Pilkington’s Reserves also won, beating Daten Reserves 3-1 at Culceth Sports Club in Warrington, while Ford Motors beat Barnton Reserves 4-2 with goals from George Webster and Jack White not enough for Barnton.

Mersey Valley thrashed Billinge Reserves 6-1. The Trafford side were impressive and won through a Kyle Denton brace and goals from Markell Bennett, Rory McDonald, Kaine Parchment and Kyle Watson.

Moore United drew 1-1 with Unicorn Athletic in a closely contested affair in which neither side could break away and find that illusive final goal to win the match.

Tarporley Vics and Cuddington played out a 3-3 draw, the Cuddington’s goals coming via a brace from captain Nathan Harwood and a single goal from Richard Bettley. We haven’t been sent Vics’ goalscorers.

Cheadle Town Reserves become the first team to reach the JA Walton Challenge Cup final, beating Broadheath Central to progress to the final. Details of all CFL finals will be confirmed in a future website article.

Congleton Vale made it through to the next round of the Crewe and District FA Cup following their 5-0 win away at Sandbach Town.

In the same competition, Crewe FC got into the next round without playing as Sandbach United Reserves were unable to field a team in their game.

Three games featuring Cheshire League sides took place in the Northern Cup. Orford won 2-0 away at The Ivy FC, Leigh Foundry beat FC St Helens Reserves 3-0 and Winstanley Warriors beat Poynton Reserves 3-2.