Non-league football round-up: Stockport County beat Salford City again

Gary Stopforth celebrates his goals for Stockport County (Photo by M Photographic)
Gary Stopforth celebrates his goal for Stockport County (Photo by M Photographic)

Stockport County repeated their FA Cup win over Salford City, but Macclesfield Town lost at to Boredom Wood in the National League.

Lower down, there were plenty of goals as Stockport Town hit seven – but New Mills conceded five and Cheadle Town let in six.

National League: Macclesfield Town 0, Boreham Wood 2

The Silkmen suffered a first defeat in five games as Boreham Wood grabbed all three points at Moss Rose thanks to second half goals from Kenny Davis and Morgan Ferrier.

The home side started well enough as both Paul Lewis, Danny Rowe and Kingsley James all saw efforts fire just wide.

The visitors coming closest as a shot from Bruno Andrade took a deflection forcing Scott Flinders into a superb reflex save.

On the stroke of half-time Rowe missed the chance to give his side the lead when firing over when well placed.

Both teams came out after the break looking for the opener, Daniel Uchechi heading a free kick over for the visitors and then seeing Flinders save another effort.

Chris Holroyd with a decent effort saved well by Grant Smith in the visitor’s goal. Davis gave his side the lead from the penalty spot after substitute David Fitzpatrick fouled Andrade in the box.

Lewis came close to levelling the scores before Ferrier slotted home an Andrade corner to clinch the points for his side.

National League North: Stockport County 2, (Stopforth, Cartwright) Salford City 1

Stockport County claimed victory over Salford City for the second consecutive week, adding three valuable league points to the FA Cup win of last weekend thanks to goals from former City star Gary Stopforth and substitute Max Cartwright.

The visitors took an early lead after veteran Richie Wellens fired home from the edge of the box just six minutes into the game.

The Hatters were level with their first effort on goal as Stopforth swept home a low cross from Courtney Meppen-Walters on the half hour.

The visitors were much the better side in the first half but Ben Hinchliffe ensured the two sides went in level at the break with two saves to deny Richie Allen.

Michael Nottingham, Jordan Hulme and Allen all went close to putting the visitors back in front with early second-half efforts but it was debutant Cartwright, only brought into Jim Gannon’s squad due to Scott Duxbury’s injury, that was to have the last word as he slammed home a loose ball from Jimmy Ball’s corner kick to claim all three points for his new team.

Hallmark Security Premier: New Mills 0, Atherton Collieries 5

After their heroics on the road last week The Millers were brought down to earth with a bump as promotion chasing Atherton Colls hammered them at Church Lane.

Mark Battersby opened the scoring from the spot early on and with Darrhyl Mason adding a second in first-half injury time the contest was over before the break. Mark Truffas, Ben Hardcastle and Jordan Cover all added to the score sheet in the final third of the game to push the home side further down the table whilst closing the gap at the top of table.

Reusch Cup: Eccleshall 1, Stockport Town 7 (Neequaye 2, Gaskin, O’Brien, Hampson, Driver, German)

The Lions moved comfortably into the next round of the Reusch Cup as a superb performance saw them brush aside a struggling Eccleshall side.

Nathan Neequaye (2) and Warren Gaskin grabbed the goals that gave Calum Sykes’ team a three goal lead at the break.

Lee O’Brien, James Hampson and Edward Driver’s second half strikes put the visitors in complete control and though the home side showed some resistance as Mitch Brown nabbed a late goal for the home side, Mark German had the last word with a seventh goal to restore his side’s six-goal advantage.

Hallmark Security 1st Division: Charnock Richard 6 Cheadle Town 1 (Sherrington)

Cheadle Town were put to the sword by Charnock Richard as the home side moved to the top of the table with a resounding victory.

The game was as good as won in the first half as Oliver Evans opened the scoring early on with Nathan Fairhurst and Joshua Norgate adding further goals before the break.

Ashley Young and Carl Grimshaw made it 5-0 by the hour mark before Chris Sherrington gave his side a flicker of hope only for Alex Porter to finish the scoring with another goal for the home side late on.