Stockport Town aim for cup semi-final

Ashton Town vs Stockport Town
Ashton Town vs Stockport Town

Stockport Town make it three away games in a row when they travel to Rochdale Town on Tuesday night in the Reusch First Division Cup quarter-final tonight.

This match had been due to be played just over a week ago but was called off to a waterlogged pitch at Rochdale’s Mayfield Sports Centre stadium.

The Lions go into the game on a high following consecutive away wins in the North West Counties Football League after 1-0 wins away at Cheadle Town and Ashton Town respectively.

Rochdale also go into the match on the back of an impressive 4-2 away win at Daisy Hill last Saturday in a Division One clash. That win followed a 4-3 home win over Atherton LR earlier in the month, making it eight goals in the last two matches for Dale.

Calum Sykes will be hoping to call upon all his players who impressed at Ashton’s MSO Stadium last weekend, including new signing and match winner Chris Sherrington.

Jonathan Thompson will once again look to be Rochdale’s star player and the striker will be looking to help his side progress into the semi-finals as he aims for his 16th goal in all competitions.

Elsehwere in the competition, Division One leaders Hanley Town host Chadderton, while second placed Barnton travel up to Holker Old Boys. All these sides will be looking to join Litherland REMYCA in the last four and edge once set closer to cup glory.

Kick-off at Mayfield Sports Centre is 7.45pm.

Stockport Town 1, Ashton Town 0

Stockport Town edged a thrilling encounter to overcome Ashton Town 1-0 at the MSO Stadium in the North West Counties Football League on Saturday afternoon.

Lions debutant, Chris Sherrington, made the difference in the end for the visitors as Stockport made it back to back 1-0 away wins after victory over local rivals, Cheadle Town, two weeks ago.

The match got off to a flyer as both sides tested the opposition keepers as Stockport’s Nathan Neequaye headed straight at goal in the 6th minute however Ashton’s keeper did well to palm the ball to safety.

Meanwhile, Lions goalkeeper, Jacob Luty, did well to keep out Cusani’s effort after the Ashton forward darted his way through Stockport’s defence and into the penalty area.

After continuous Stockport pressure the visitors took the lead in the 20th minute through Sherrington. Andrew Graham winning the ball back before Ruben Abreu crossed perfectly to find Sherrington to head in at the back post.

Going a goal behind spurred on Ashton who began to raise their game towards the end of the first half. Cusani causing trouble for the Lions defence on more than one occasion but Luty did well to keep him at bay.

The second half saw more fantastic play down the Stockport right as Abreu and Lanre Olapade combined  once again to cross only for the Ashton defender to narrowly miss clearing the ball into his own net.

Just as the home side began to put some pressure on the visitors and look for an equaliser, they saw things go from bad to worse as they were reduced to 10 men, Ashton’s McNally given his marching orders by the referee following a headbutt on Lions captain, Sam Scott.

Following the dismissal the Lions began to press for a second and put the game to bed, however Ashton’s defence stayed strong in the final 15 minutes and tried to break on the counter.

Scott went close to doubling his sides lead in the 88th minute with a powerful drive from outside the Ashton penalty area, forcing the home side’s keeper into a diving save and doing just enough to push the ball wide.

As the game drew to a close the Lions held onto the ball with their man advantage and were able to see out what was a fantastic result and complete the double over Ashton this season.

Calum Sykes will have been pleased to see his side grab what is a vital three points away from home and will have been impressed with all three of his debutants, Sherrington, Olapade and Warren Gaskin.