The Manchester Grammar School’s (MGS) success on the rugby field has been recognised after the School won the Lancashire School’s Rugby School of the Year award.
MGS was nominated by Kirkham Grammar School after a hugely successful 2016-17 season, and won the vote from schools across the region by an overwhelming majority.
Staff and players from MGS will be presented with the prestigious trophy at an awards gala to be held at Preston Grasshoppers on Friday 6 June 2017.
This season MGS boys have enjoyed great success on the field, and among the highlights were:
- Under-11s won Terra Nova 7s
- Under-11s won Rossall 7s
- Under-11s Group Winners at Stonyhurst 7s
- Under-12s won Audenshaw 7s Plate
- Under-13s finished third at the Lancashire Cup Finals Day
- Under-13s won League 3 at Terra Nova 7s
- Under-14s won the Lancashire Cup
- Under-14s won the Giggleswick 7s
- Under-15s reached the quarter-finals of the Lancashire Cup
- Under-15s were semi-finalists at Audenshaw 7s
- Under-16s won the Lancashire Cup jointly with Kirkham Grammar School
- Under-16s reached the Plate Final of Merchant Taylors 7s
- Under-16s won Rydal Penrhos 7s Shield
- 1st XV reached the quarter-finals of the National Natwest Cup
- 1st XV reached the semi-final of the Lancashire Cup
- 1st XV reached the quarter-finals of Stonyhurst 7s
MGS Director of Rugby Steve Swindells said: “2016/17 has been a hugely successful season for the MGS Rugby Club and it is an honour to win an award that reflects rugby across every age group and not just to celebrate the achievements of one team.
“The boys have worked extremely hard over the course of the season to improve and develop their core skills, techniques and game understanding and to see their efforts being rewarded is fantastic.
“We are also lucky to have a very talented and dedicated group of academic staff and coaches that challenge the boys both on and off the pitch and their commitment to put on sessions after school and in their own time is staggering.”
Director of Sport at MGS, Mark Walmsley, added: “We are immensely proud to be recognised for our rugby by so many strong rugby schools in the region.
“Steve has worked tirelessly to create this environment and culture and it is testament to him and all of our hard working coaches that we have received this accolade.”