Stockport County 4-1 FC United: Warburton doubles up against Red Rebels

Jason Oswell. Stockport County FC 4-1 FC United, 4.11.17.

Matty Warburton scored twice as Stockport County gained some revenge for their FA Cup defeat to FC United and move within a point of the National League North play-off positions. 

For what would be the closest home game before Remembrance Sunday, the Hatters sported their white and black kit in support of the Royal British Legion.

And the starting line-up showed two changes from the line-up that had taken to the field at EP against Kidderminster seven days earlier.

Ben Hinchliffe returned between the sticks, while Bohan Dixon – fresh from netting a hat-trick in the Cheshire Senior Cup at Cheadle Town in midweek – replaced the injured Chris Smalley within a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Matty Warburton. Stockport County FC 4-1 FC United, 4.11.17.
Matty Warburton in action for Stockport County at the weekend (

Dixon did not take long to justify his selection – threading a delicious through-ball after six minutes to Matty Warburton, who proceeded to wiggle through challenges by Danny Brady and former Hatter Jordan Fagbola, before firing past visiting goalkeeper Lloyd Allinson for an early lead.

And after another three minutes, County’s advantage was doubled, as Warburton turned provider to cross from the left for Jason Oswell to half-volley in off the Cheadle End crossbar and chalk up his 15th of the season in all competitions.

An injury to Gary Stopforth after 19 minutes, following a challenge by Michael Connor, saw Oldham loanee Kallum Mantack become the potential subject of a pub quiz question as, having taken his bow as an on-loan Red Rebel for the September Cup-tie, he was brought on to make his second debut at EP in a match involving the same two teams within 35 days.

Just over 20 minutes later, this second debut became one properly to remember. Dan Cowan’s excellent run down the right and into the FC area found Oswell, whose shot was parried by Allinson but into the path of Mantack for the substitute to convert on the rebound.

After 54 minutes, the nerves of the County Faithful began to tingle as the head of Jason Gilchrist – whose 57th-minute goal had begun his side’s comeback in late September – got a touch to Craig Lindfield’s cross from the right to pull one back for the Red Rebels.

Kallum Mantack. Stockport County FC 4-1 FC United, 4.11.17.
Kallum Mantack on target for the Hatters on his debut (

It was likely that any subsequent goal would be crucial to the outcome – and, as things turned out, one arrived before the hour-mark.

Following a County break, substitute Adam Thomas crossed from the left for Oswell, who was brought down in the box by Matthew Hughes. Referee Woods pointed to the spot immediately, and Warburton sent his low penalty past Allinson for his 10th goal of the campaign.

Further drama followed as the Red Rebels themselves broke and Gilchrist fired home – only to be flagged up for offside. And Hinchliffe subsequently had to be at his best in punching away a long-range shot from the same player, as well as tipping behind a shot on the turn by Fagbola.

Mantack fired just wide of the left post and Warburton, after one of his many sizzling runs of the afternoon, unleashed a shot that Allinson dived to smother.

FULL-TIME: County 4 (Warburton, 6, 58 (pen); Oswell, 9; Mantack, 41), FC United 1 (Gilchrist, 54).

County: Hinchliffe, Cowan, Duxbury, Ball, Clarke (Capt.), O’Halloran, McKenna (Thomas, 55), Stopforth (Mantack, 19), Oswell, Dixon, Warburton (Walker, 87). Unused subs: Ormson, Stephenson.

Booked: Duxbury, Oswell

Man of the Match: Warburton

Attendance: 4,072 (606 away)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.